CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by Red Hat, considered by some to be THE linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible.
This distribution (without extra software) allows you to use your server as a:
- file server (Windows - SMB, AFP, NFS)
- print server (LPD, Windows - SMB, IPP)
- email server (POP3, SMTP, IMAP4)
- web server (HTTP, PHP)
- terminal server (X-Windows)
- database server (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- boot server to boot diskless workstations that can run remote desktop clients (RDP), essentially turning them into thin clients.
- host for virtualisation (for running multiple operating systems at once)
Red Hat's Enterprise edition of Linux can be purchased if you require vendor support.
For extra functionality the other products we recommend can be added to give you a full and complete solution you can trust and depend on.